18 May 2022
BOSS/GfK Panelmarket - summary for April 2022
GfK track and audit 36 product categories in the Office & Stationery sector and produces time comparable data for Sales Value, Sales Units/Packs and Sales Pieces - as well as calculating an average pack price and sales price.
Data is now split across two Retail channels and one B2B channel (Systemhouses) - these combine to provide the overall Panelmarket total, the Retail channels encompass around 90% of the Panelmarket total. GfK estimate that the overall total for the 36 selected products, as reported in the Panelmarket, covers around 75% of the estimated UK market total for the 36 selected products.
Latest available data is up to (and including) April 2022.
Total Data (Panelmarket)
- Sales in April 2022 were just over £123 million - 8.3% down from March, and 3.7% lower than April 2021.
- Working through the data from 2021 - strong sales in January were followed by sales in February and March that were weaker in comparison to recent years. Sales in April, May and June were all stronger than last year but worse in comparison with previous years, whilst sales in July fell short of the equivalent data for each of the last three years. The decline through to September was a set-back, but October did exhibit growth and the November decline was less than in 2020. December was restricted by the Government's "Plan B" measures and guidance.
- In 2022 - a subsequent lifting of restrictions (in England) helped the total in January 2022 recover. February declined in line with previous years, March stabilised from that. Unfortunately, as expected, April has seen a further downturn.
- Fortunately, May often experiences a strong improvement from April - so it seems likely that there will be some positivity to come before another downturn in June.
- Average piece price was £2.36 in April 2022, 1.9% up on the £2.31 recorded in April 2021.
- Sales in the 12 months to April 2022 were just over £1.73 billion - 3.4% below the 12 months to April 2021. (Sales so far this year are 4.6% down in comparison to January to April 2021.)
- Average piece price in the 12 months to April 2022 was £2.07 - 0.8% down from £2.09 in the 12 months to April 2021.
Click here to download the full BOSS/GfK Panelmarket report or a new excel file depicting the latest sales charts for the consumer, retail and systemhouse channels.
Source: BOSS/GfK Panelmarket, www.bossfederation.comDownloads