21 November 2022
BOSS/GfK Panelmarket - summary for October 2022
GfK track and audit 36 product categories in the Office & Stationery sector and produces time comparable data for Sales Value, Sales Units/Packs and Sales Pieces - as well as calculating an average pack price and sales price.
Data is now split across two Retail channels and one B2B channel (Systemhouses) - these combine to provide the overall Panelmarket total, the Retail channels encompass around 90% of the Panelmarket total. GfK estimate that the overall total for the 36 selected products, as reported in the Panelmarket, covers around 75% of the estimated UK market total for the 36 selected products.
Latest available data is up to (and including) October 2022.
Total Data (Panelmarket)
- Sales in October 2022 were just under £164 million - 11.1% up from September, but 3.5% below October 2022.
- In 2021 - strong sales in January were followed by weaker sales in February and March. Sales in April, May and June were all stronger than in 2020, but worse in comparison with previous years. Sales picked-up in July but fell short of the equivalent data for each of the last three years. There was a decline through to September, then growth in October before a strong decline in November and December.
- In 2022 - a lifting of restrictions (in England) helped the total in January 2022 recover. February declined in line with previous years, March stabilised from that. Unfortunately, as expected, April experienced a further downturn - but there was stronger growth, than in recent years, during May. Sales in June held above 2021 and 2020 levels, whilst July recovered to split the levels recorded in 2020 and 2021. A further downturn in August was followed by a slight recovery in September and growth into October - though just not strong enough to push it above previous October levels.
- Looking ahead - the traditional seasonal pattern suggests that November and December may suffer from a downturn.
- Average piece price was £2.51 in October 2022, 9.4% up on the £2.30 recorded in October 2021.
- Sales in the 12 months to October 2022 were just over £1.74 billion - 3.1% below the 12 months to October 2021. (Sales so far this year are 1.5% down in comparison with January to October 2021.)
- Average piece price in the 12 months to October 2022 was £2.15 - 4.3% up from the 12 months to October 2021.
Click here to download the full BOSS/GfK Panelmarket report or a new excel file depicting the latest sales charts for the consumer, retail and systemhouse channels.
Source: BOSS/GfK Panelmarket, www.bossfederation.comDownloads