With increased use of electronic information exchange, consistent, agreed, standard abbreviations are needed to assist searching and data synchronisation. Industry standard abbreviations have been developed which cover:
- Product descriptions including recommended field length
- Colours / Colour Descriptives
- Units of Measure
- Description Order
For a list of the current Standard Abbreviations, please click here.
Short Description Standard
Short descriptions refer to 40 character product descriptions which are used for a number of purposes, particularly picking, delivery notes & invoices as well as end users product selection and purchasing.
BOSS recommends the Short Descripton Standard to ensure understanding and compatibility of data from different sources.
- Industry Standard Product Classification (ISPC) The Industry Standard Product Classification has created a common language for classifying office products.
- Sequence for Product Descriptions The enclosed document defines the sequence and format for product title descriptions. In the past, BOSS have restricted descriptions to 40 characters as this was the limit on many Systems.
- Unit of Sale The unit of sale initiative has helped reduce anomalies and discrepancies on units of measure in the different tiers of the industry supply chain.
- Product Setup Form This form is designed to assist manufacturers and suppliers to make their product details available to their customers.
- opXML Best Practice Guide This document is a guide to the use of opXML, a set of standard XML messages developed for the office products industry by a team of experts representing all parties within the industry supply chain.
- EC Commodity Codes Commodity codes classify goods for import and export so you can fill in declarations and other paperwork, check if there's duty or VAT to pay and find out about duty reliefs.
- Stock Feed Format An Industry Standard to delivery stock availability data.